Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fear

Many of us struggle with fears. Whether they be big or small, important or insignificant. Some fear things. My youngest son is deathly afraid of spider webs. Give him a spider to play with and he's good. But put a web near him and he is frozen, petrified.

My biggest fears are of the unknown, what other's think of me and being accepted. Some may say that these are petty things and I should just get over it.

Take the unknown. It's been my experience that when I'm faced with something unknown it's a million times worse to me in my hear before it happens then when it's over and I realize that it really wasn't a big deal.

As for what other's think of me, this only bothers me on a professional level. My youngest son is disabled and I can't take him anywhere without someone staring or offering me advice that isn't needed or wanted. That doesn't bother me because really it's their problem not mine. I know why he reacts the way he does and it's not anyone's business as to why he does anything. On a professional level I pride myself on doing a good job and I have letters of reference and many people who stand behind my work. However anytime I have to start somewhere new and these people don't know me it becomes a 'I'm a great person and I'll prove it to you' all over again. I really should embrace this as a challenge rather than a hinderance.

As for being accepted I have this insecurity because we often don't tell others how much we like them or how much we value having them in our lives. If we all had time to reflect we would see what is really important and who is important. Maybe then we would feel more accepted.

The bottom line is BE YOURSELF and don't take the baggage of others, personally!!!

Fear can be embraced if we chose to see it as an ally instead of a foe!

No comments: